Winter, spring, summer or fall – I love me a good, hearty stew. It’s like the perfect meal, amiright?! Veggies, fat, protein, spices, slow cooker if you’ve got the time, done, boom.
Perks of this healthy crock pot stew:
- This recipe right here is perfect for the whole fam. My husband ate two HUGE bowls of this dish. Healthy, husband-approved stew for the win.
- It makes at least 4 large servings, so spread the love!
- Meal prep worthy? You know it. Fridge or freezer, this stew’s got your work meals at the ready.
- It. Is. YUMMY! Not a bland bite in this batch. Heathy CAN in fact be flavorful!
- It’s both Tone It Up & Whole30 approved. Not familiar with these two meal plans? Check out my Whole30 post here and how I’m combining it with the TIU plan here.
Without further ado, let’s get this puppy started!
*This is adapted from the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan, which has hundreds of healthy, scrumptious meals, snacks, desserts, smoothies, and more.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. raw chicken cut up in cubes
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 4 cups broth (check for no sugar, sulfites, msg)
- 2 cups spinach (fresh or frozen, whatever you got)
- Optional: sliced avocado, fresh cilantro
- I like using a multi cooker for this meal but you can use a big pot too.
- Heat up the olive oil in your pot, add onions & garlic, sauté a few mins – don’t let the garlic burn!
- Add all the spices except salt. Sauté for another 2 mins.
- Add in chicken cubes, cook til no longer pink.
- Add canned tomatoes, sweet potato, and broth. Season with salt n’ peppa.
- Cook on medium-low for 20-30 mins til potatoes are soft.
- Stir in spinach before serving.
- Top with sliced avocado and/or fresh avocado if you’d like!
If you have family members who aren’t following a nutrition plan and want more carbs than the potatoes in this recipe, feel free to toast a fresh baguette to serve along side this meal.
And there you have it. A simple, hearty, healthy dish to warm up your soul, and your families’ hearts.
- Tone It Up Nutrition Plan: https://my.toneitup.com/products/tone-it-up-nutrition-plan?variant=287028266
- Whole30 Guide: https://www.amazon.com/Whole30-30-Day-Guide-Health-Freedom/dp/0544609719/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515941665&sr=8-3&keywords=whole+30+cookbook
- Whole30 Fast & Easy Cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/Whole30-Fast-Easy-Cookbook-Delicious/dp/1328839206/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515941665&sr=8-2&keywords=whole+30+cookbook
- Whole30.com Recipes: https://whole30.com/category/recipes/
12 thoughts on “Whole30 Approved, Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew!”
Just made this tonight. So yummy! I added carrots and zucchini and also puréed a few of the veggies to thicken it a bit. Comforting on a cold day and an awesome new recipe for my February Whole 30.
WOW your updates are such good ideas Sophia! I’ll have to try adding those and blending a bit. How’s your February Whole30 going??