Water: check. Smoothie: check. Coffee: check. How many beverages do you carry around with you every morning? Lunch tote overflowing? Car cup holders can’t handle your dranks? What if you combined at LEAST two of those bevs together two kill 2 birds with one … concoction?
Enter the coffee smoothie.
It’s smooth. It’s delicious. It’s filling. It’s healthy. It energizes you. What more could you ask for?! …Maybe a million dollars … but that’s a different blog all together, sweet cheeks 🙂
Another FANTASTIC quality of this coffee smoothie recipe is that is it 100% customizable! Feel free to swap out the almond butter for another healthy fat, like coconut oil! Don’t have maca powder or cacao powder? No prob, Bob! Leave ’em out all together or add a different superfood powder like cinnamon or cardamom. Not into collagen peptide smoothies yet? Substitute for a plant-based protein powder instead to keep your healthy protein smoothie recipe game strong.
I wholeheartedly try to make ALL of my recipes totally customizable for you so that you can tweak to your liking. You ready to espresso yourself? Perk up and prepare for your daily grind because it’s time to get buzzed. (I know, I know, enough with the coffee puns…!)
- 1/2 cup cold brew coffee (hot coffee is fine but chilled won’t melt your ice cubes)
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk (unsweetened, you can do this)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (check out Further Foods collagen)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (peanuts tend to be a more acidic nut, so I tend to avoid them)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (fiber)
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder (superfood)
- 1 teaspoon maca power (superfood)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (flava flave)
- 1 cup ice cubes (for chillness & volume)
- Handful of spinach (optional to git yer greens in there)
- 1/2 of a frozen banana (optional if you’re trying to keep your fruit intake down, which I know sounds cray because fruit is considered healthy, but if you’re trying to reduce your sugar intake to shed any unwanted fat, I promise you will not miss fruit in this smoothie.)
Just blend it all up! Donzo! I’ve found it best to add liquids, veggies and powders before butters and oils because the fats tend to stick to the bottom & sides of the blender. But you do you, honey!
Jazz this puppy up by sprinkling some coconut flakes or pecans on top. Whatever flare you’re feeling! Ya know, we could also call this healthy coffee smoothie a mocha smoothie, because coffee + chocolate = mocha … amiright?
Now, y’all know I can’t deliver a next level smoothie recipe like this one without telling you the benefits of it, true? Let’s briefly touch on each super power ingredient:
- Did you know that moderate coffee consumption has been linked to a longer lifespan? A November 2015 study in Circulation concluded that higher consumption of both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee was associated with lower risk of mortality.
- Coconut or Almond Milk:
- When unsweetened, these beverages are healthy alternatives to milk for those who are avoiding dairy to reduce bloating.
- Collagen Peptides: It’s a hot trend right now, but for good reason. Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies, and essentially holds our bodies together. I’ll be writing up a whole post on collagen soon, but in the meantime, be careful of the collagen you choose, as it’s crucial to consume collagen from trusted sources. I prefer Further Food collagen peptides, as they come from grass-fed, pasture raised sources.
- Almond Butter: Healthy fat. Healthy protein. Not a legume. Keeps us full. Nuff said.
- Flaxseed: Get that fiber in wherever you can, girl. It helps keep things moving & keeps us full.
- Cacao: Our buddy Dr. Axe explains that cacao has more antioxidants than tea, wine, blueberries and goji berries! Cacao can also enhance a blissful mood. Sign me up!!
- Maca: I’ve used this superfood ingredient in a previous post, but maca is actually an adaptogenic that balances your mood and helps you adapt to stressful situations. It’s also an awesome source of natural energy. A nice added pick me up to this coffee smoothie recipe!
- Vanilla: I can go on and on about pure vanilla extract. Why add sugary or chemical-laden vanilla syrup to your coffee when you can add all-natural pure vanilla extract?!
- Spinach: Low in carbs. High in insoluble fiber (best for digestion) loaded with vitamins & minerals.
- Banana: This one yellow fruit is chalk-full of essential vitamins & minerals as well, including: potassium, calcium, manganese (natural occurring mineral supporting bones & metabolism), magnesium, iron (great for those who may be slightly anemic), folate, niacin, riboflavin, and B6. And check out these crazy amazing benefits of Vitamin B6: Supports healthier skin, detoxifies the liver, enhances the health of blood vessels, improves cognitive function, relieves mood swings, cures anemia, supports eye health, relieves the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, prevents diabetes, relieves carpal tunnel syndrome, treats pregnancy related nausea, and treats hair loss. AMAZING right?!
Snap a pic when you blend up this chocolate protein coffee smoothie!
And tag me to let me know how you changed it up to make it YOURS!
Thanks a latte 🙂
PS: Have you tried my Mint Chocolate Coconut Protein & Fat Balls? They are THE best healthy sweet treat! Get your recipe here.
PPS: Looking for a healthy green smoothie recipe or fruit smoothie recipe? You will LOVE this refreshing drink right here.
PPSS: You’ll notice that I gave you a link to Further Foods Collagen Peptides. Further Foods is my collagen peptides brand of choice because their collagen comes from grass-fed, pasture-raised sources. And thankfully, they’ve selected me as one of their affiliates, so yes, if you order from them I do get a kickback, so just wanted to be forthcoming and put that out there! Feel free to choose what you use ~
- Coffee Benefits:
- Collagen Peptides: https://www.furtherfood.com/collagen/
- Vitamins B6 Benefits: https://www.naturalfoodseries.com/12-benefits-vitamin-b6-pyridoxine/